- 10 Paid vacation days during first & second year
- 13 Paid vacation days during third, fourth & fifth year
- 27 Paid vacation days after 5 years of service
- Unlimited sick leave with full pay
- A choice of paid medical programs
- Prescription, dental, and eyeglass coverage
- Annuity fund
- Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.
- Optional retirement at one half salary after 22 years of service*
- Annual $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund (upon retirement)
- Annual banking of $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund after 22 years of service (if not retiring)
- Excellent promotional opportunities
- Educational opportunities
- Additional benefits are available to military personnel.
This contract expired on July 31, 2010 and future contracts will need to be negotiated between NYC and the PBA.
*Newly hired NYPD officers can expect to receive nearly $2.2 million in pension payments and City paid health benefits over 32 years of retirement, based on the current average salary including overtime pay and other compensation; the average age of 26 for newly hired Police Officers; retirement at age 48 after 22 years of service, and assuming the average life expectancy of 80 years. Persons retiring above the rank of Police Officer will earn higher retirement payments based on their respective ranks.